I am so obsessed with Roasted Whole Sweet Potatoes right now. They are so sweet and delicious and taste great with almost anything. I stuff them tonight with silverbeet and red onions and topped them with tempeh ‘bacon’. I am also in love with Tempeh. Its so delicious and really nutritious! This is the first time I tried to use it to make bacon. I really wanted to make it to substitute a piece of chicken or beef, but I didn’t have enough. I would definitely make this bacon again thought. It was really like bacon, but it did have a meat like taste.
By the way, I finished watching another documentary today called Vegucated. If I needed some more incentive to keep on going vegan this definitely gave it to me. It also had a great important message in the end that eating no meat or even less meat is helping the planet. Even Marco was really touched by this documentary. Its about 3 people who love meat and aren’t vegan, who agree to try going vegan for 6 weeks. After learning about the food industry and trial out a vegan diet, they are all changed forever. There is a trailer on the website and also some great recipes. I was really shocked by some of the images I saw. It wasn’t just about the terrible conditions and death of the animals, but what you did see really makes you sick. Another video I watched which is a little closer to home was a 60 Minutes segment ‘Roam Free‘. I still can’t get the images out of my head of Steggles live chickens eating other dead chickens in their pen and their terrible conditions. The Coles representative was really crafty as well and didn’t wanting to take ownership of those kinds of practices. Anyway I recommend viewing these if you want to know more about whats really going on behind the scenes.
For more whole roasted sweet potato recipes check out my Black bean & Corn Chili with Whole Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Broad bean Guacamole, Whole Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes with Almond Cinnamon Butter and Whole Roasted Sweet Potato with Mixed Bean Chili.
Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Spinach and Tempeh ‘Bacon’ (vegan, gluten free, nut free)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato & Spinach:
4 medium or 8 small sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 head of silverbeet, roughly chopped (leaves only)
Ingredients: Tempeh ‘Bacon’:
100 g tempeh
1 teaspoon agave/maple syrup
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon tamari/soy sauce
pinch of ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2. Coat in oil and place in a baking tray. Piece a few times with a fork along the sweet potato, then bake for 45 mins or until soft inside.
3. Chop tempeh into small pieces and place into a small bowl.
5. Heat coconut oil in a pan then add tempeh. Cook on medium heat for 7-10 mins or until golden. Leave to the side.
6. In another pan heat coconut oil. Saute red onion and garlic on medium heat for 5 mins.
7. Add silverbeet to the onion and garlic. Saute for 5 mins or until silverbeet is wilted.
8. Once sweet potatoes are ready, slice them down the center and stuff with silverbeet and onions. Sprinkle with Tempeh ‘bacon’ and serve with Cashew Cream and Guacamole.
Cashew Sour Cream (vegan, raw, gluten free, soy free)
1 cup cashews (pre-soaked for 2 hours)
1/2 cup water
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. If you haven’t pre-soaked the cashews, then boil for 10 mins.
2. Place in a blender and grind until cashews break down.
3. Add water, lemon, apple cider and salt. Process until smooth.
*Makes about one cup.
Guacamole with Coriander & Lime (vegan, raw, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
2 large avocado
juice from 1 lime
2 handfuls coriander, minced
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. Mash avocodo flesh in a small bowl.
2. Add lemon juice, coriander, sea salt and black pepper.