Last night I really felt like a flavoursome, creamy beany casserole with potatoes. I knew exactly what I wanted but couldn’t find a similar recipe to get some ideas. I also needed to use the opened unsweetened soy milk that was on its last legs and some great northern beans I had cooked up that afternoon. So this is what I came up with. I probably shouldn’t of started cooking at 7pm but it was worth the wait. Marco loved this dish so much. He was even happy to eat it again for his next two home-made work lunches.
What’s your favourite vegan bean casserole?
Great Northern Bean Casserole with Sliced Potato Topping (vegan, gluten free, nut free)
Ingredients for Casserole:
1 cup great northern beans, soak for 8 hours or overnight or 2.5-3 cups cooked beans
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon sweet hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
2 cups vegan chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
3 tablespoons arrowroot flour
Ingredients for Potato Topping:
4 medium potatoes, peeled
black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1. First place the soaked beans in 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then place on a simmer and cook for 40-60 minutes or until tender. While the beans are cooking skim the foam of the top of the water. Once the beans are cooked drain the water and leave to the side to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
3. Place the potatoes in a medium pot with water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring the water to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards drain the potatoes and leave to cool down.
4. Take a large oven safe skillet and heat the olive oil on medium heat. Then add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
5. Add the carrots and celery. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Add the white wine, tomatoes, hungarian paprika, mixed herbs and half teaspoon of sea salt. Stir through and allow the wine to absorb into the vegetables. This should take about 5 minutes.
7. Add vegan chicken stock, soy milk and great northern beans. Bring to the boil, then leave on a simmer for 20 minutes. While its cooking add the arrowroot flour and stir frequently while it thickens up.
8. In the meantime slice the potatoes into rounds and leave to the side.
9. Take the skillet off the heat and top with the sliced potatoes. Start from the outside and then work your way in.
10. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and season with sea salt, black pepper and thyme leaves.
11. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then if place the oven on grill and brown the tops of the potatoes for 5 minutes before serving.
*Serves 6 as a main
*I recommend serving this casserole with steamed vegetables or a fresh salad
Delicious leftovers for a hungry pregnant woman…