A couple of nights ago we got invite out to dinner with some friends. But with the rainy weather and my cold feet about going somewhere that didn’t cater to me, we decided invited them over for homemade pizzas. We had some leftover pizza dough so last night I made the most delicious pizza with a few simple ingredients. This wasn’t the main event but to accompany this Red Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup.
For breakfast I prepared the most delicious overnight oats. I included a few extra healthy ingredients such as cacao, maca, chia seeds and goji berries. I nice to be able to have guilt free chocolate oats for breakfast.
Just as I was writing this post, I got a call about a job. I’m going in for an interview tomorrow. I only send in an application yesterday to them for a different job, but they liked my previous work experience in mentoring and in a call centre. Fingers crossed they hire me!
Browned Onion and Garlic Pizza (vegan, gluten free option, soy free, nut free)
pizza dough for 1 pizza (wholemeal or gluten free)
1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more to brush pizza)
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon fresh/dried rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Heat a large pan with olive oil, then add the onion. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until onion has softened, but not browned (Its best to use a nonstick pan for this).
3. In the meantime roll out pizza dough and place into a pizza pan/stone. Brush base with olive oil. (If you are using a pizza pan brush that with oil before placing the pizza ontop, so that the base will brown)
4. Take pan off the heat, then add garlic and stir though the onion.
5. Top pizza with the onion and garlic. Then sprinkle some rosemary, sea salt and black pepper.
6. Bake pizza for 15 mins or until the base is cooked and the onions are lightly browned.
*Makes 1 pizza
Red Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1 large brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 swede, diced
2 parsnips, diced
2 red skinned potatoes, diced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cups vegetable/vegan chicken liquid stock
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot, then add the vegetables and spices. Saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the red lentils and sea salt if you need. Continue to cook covered on a simmer, until both the lentils have cooked and the vegetable are completely cooked.
4. Take off the heat and puree the soup with a bar mix, until you have the desired consistency. If the soup is too thick add some filtered water to thin it out.
5. Reheat on the stove to you are ready to serve.
Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1/2 cup instant/rolled oats, preferably organic
3/4 cup plant milk (coconut, rice or oat; almond or soy if you can tolerate)
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
1 tablespoon cacao powder
1/2 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1.5 tablespoon maple syrup (I used blueberry maple syrup)
1 teapsoon goji berries to serve
1. Combine the oats, milk, frozen berries, cacao, maca, chia seeds and maple syrup in an airtight container and stir to combine all.
2. Seal the container and place in the fridge over night.
3. In the morning serve with goji berries and cacao nibs. If you don’t have these any other dried fruit, nuts and/or dark chocolate chips would go nice. If the consistency of the oats is too thick add a dash of milk.