Now that we are so close to getting our new home, I have been trying to gather ideas for what to serve at our engagement/house warming party. Even though I got engaged back in January, we still haven’t had a formal celebration. I did want have it in a venue, but Marco has been pushing me to wait till we got a house. Although I don’t want to cater the whole thing, I think I will try make a few small things. All vegan of course. These are some of the ideas I came up with for an entree/main and a side salad. The filling for the Rolled Eggplant can also be made as a dip or spread. It was so delicious, I couldn’t stop eating it. I don’t think Marco is going to be a fan of the salad. He hates capers and green olives, but I’m hoping when he gets to try it later he will look past the salty ingredients and enjoys it as a whole. If he can’t, well then he won’t be invited to have any of my Coconana-Chia Cake that I just made!
Rolled Eggplant with Cannellini bean Pine nut Filling (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
Ingredients for Eggplant
1 medium eggplant
storebought/homemade tomato (pasta) sauce
Ingredients for Cannellini bean Pine nut Filling:
1 can cannellini beans
1/2 cup pine nuts (soaked/boil 10 mintues)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
sea salt to taste
20 basil leaves
1. To make the filling place all the ingredients for the filling, except the basil, in the processor. Blend until the nuts and beans break down and it becomes a puree.
2. Place the basil leaves in the process and blend so that they are finely cut but still a little chunky.
3. Slice the eggplant into thin strips (at least 12 with no skin on either side) and sprinkle generously with salt. Leave for 10 minutes, to remove the bitterness, then remove the salt and moist with a paper towel.
4. Heat a griddle pan on medium to high heat and brush with olive oil. Coat the eggplant with olive oil and cook on both sides (3 mintues per slice). While cooking apply more olive oil if the eggplant dries out. Place the eggplant in a warm place so that it doesn’t get cold while you cook all the slices.
5. Place the filling in the centre of the eggplant and then roll.
Ingredients for Salad:
30 green beans (topped & tailed)
2 bunches asparagus
2 large handfuls of baby kale/lettuce
small handful spanish green olives
2-3 tablespoons flaked almonds (toasted)
Ingredients for Dressing:
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1.5 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 tablespoons baby capers
2 teaspoons agave
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1. Chop the green beans and asparagus into 5 cm pieces.
2. Steam the green beans and asparagus for 5 minutes or until tender. Then place straight away into a bowl with cold water and ice for 10 minutes or until cold.
3. Strain the green beans and asparagus.
4. Massage the kale with sea salt, so that it breaks down. Slice the olives and toast the almonds.
5. Prepare the dressing by placing all the ingredients into a blender/processor and blend until creamy.
6. To assemble the salad first make a bed of baby kale, then top with green beans, asparagus, green olives and flaked almonds. Drizzle the caper dressing and serve.