One of my favourite soups in recent times is broccoli soup. I usually add at least one potato for creaminess and then let the Vitamix do most the work. This is not one of Marco’s favourites. I usually threaten him with my broccoli soup when I don’t feel like cooking so that he will go pick up some Thai. However he really liked this recipe. He was a bit apprehensive at first but thoroughly enjoyed it. The cashews give an extra creaminess that was missing without the cream. I promise your family won’t know this recipe is dairy free when you use cashew cream.
Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
1/2 cup cashews, pre-soak for an hour if you can
1/4 filtered water (plus 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 medium dutch cream potatoes, chopped in cubes
1 medium broccoli head, roughly chopped (include the stem and leaves)
3 cups vegetable stock
sea salt and black pepper
hemp seeds and nutritional yeast to serve
1. If you haven’t already pre-soaked the cashews, then place them in a small pot of water and boil for 10 minutes to soften.
2. Place cashews in a high speed blender with 1/4 cup of water. Add more water if the consistency is too thick. Scrap out of the blender and leave to the side. No need to clean the blender.
3. Place the potatoes in the steam and steam for 15 minutes.
4. Place the broccoli in with the potatoes and steam for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked.
5. In the meantime heat a large pot with olive oil, then add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
6. Place onions, garlic, potatoes, broccoli and 2 cups of vegetable stock in the high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
7. Add the blended ingredients back to the pot and place on a medium heat.
8. Add the cashew cream (leave some for garnish later) and 1 cup of vegetable stock to the pot and heat through.
9. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
10. Serve with a teaspoon of cashew cream, hemp seeds and nutritional yeast.
*Serves 3 large serves or 4 medium