Hi all, hope you having a great start to your week. I’m always most energetic on Mondays. I feel like I can achieve just about anything on my way home from work. I could prepare all our lunches for the week, do some pilates or even finally put together my new compost bin. Unfortunately I didn’t get to do everything I hoped for this afternoon. But I did get around to making a selection of jarred cold pressed juices, boil some black beans and make a delicious healthy soup. Lucky for Marco he’s at work tonight. So I even managed to clean up the huge mess I made in the kitchen by my self.
I’ve never added chia seeds to a soup before and I didn’t really know what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised. They weren’t crunchy or gluggy at all. They also didn’t change the texture to the soup. What they did do is add some extra protein, fibre, antioxidants, calcium, vitamin C, omega 3, potassium and iron to my soup!
How do you like to include chia seeds in your diet?
Creamy Sweet potato, Black bean, Chia seed Soup (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, diced
1/2 green or red capsicum, diced
1 large celery stick, diced
1 large sweet potato, chopped and cubed
1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups vegetable stock (I used 4 cups filtered water with 4 tsp Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt/ sea salt to taste
black pepper to taste
2 whole dried bay leaves
2 cups cooked black beans
juice from 1/2 small lemon
1/3 cup chia seeds
diced roasted peppers, pan fried corn kernels and sliced avocado to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Then add onion, garlic, capsicum and celery. Saute for a few minutes.
2. Add sweet potato cubes, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Saute for another couple of minutes.
3. Add vegetable stock, garlic salt, black pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potato has softened.
4. Add cooked black beans and lemon juice. Take off the heat and remove the bay leaves.
5. Place most of the soup with a high speed blender, leaving about a cup of the soup in the pot. Then combine again and stir through the chunky beans and sweet potato.
6. Add chia seeds and stir through.
7. Serve soup topped with diced roasted peppers, pan fried corn kernels and sliced avocado or whatever else you have on hand.