Another week has nearly gone by and I just can’t wait for the weekend. Today was the kind of day that made me want to run away from my responsibilities and crawl into my cupboard. Normally after a day like this I go home and become a couch potato. However today I came home inspired to cook a healthy wholesome meal for one. Probably because I spent my long bumpy bus ride home reading my new book that I just couldn’t put down. This book is Starch Solution, by Dr John A McDougall and Mary McDougall. If you haven’t heard of it look it up. Its a great book for anyone looking for answers on how to be healthier and shed some pounds. I was just happy to have someone agree that carbs should be on the menu tonight. Especially since I’ve been eyeing the organic polenta in my cupboard ever since I bought it and been putting it off for a lighter alternative. And boy did it make me feel better. I also got to use left overs vege in my fridge, right in time for my organic set box delivery tomorrow from Home Fresh Organics. I just found out earlier this week that I won a free box, after attending the Inspiring Living Events last week. Looking forward coming home to fresh produce tomorrow!
French lentil and Kale Ragout with Pesto Polenta (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
1/2 cup french lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
4 large tomatoes, diced or 1 can good quality crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock/water
1/2 cup white or red wine (optional)
1 teaspoon raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup filtered water
2 cups tightly packed curly kale leave (chopped)
1 cup intant polenta, preferably organic
3 cups filtered water
1/2 cup home-made pesto (more to serve) (made from pine nuts, garlic, basil, evo, nutritional yeast, sea salt, black pepper)
italian parsley to serve (optional)
sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method for the French lentil and Kale Ragout:
1. Bring a small pot to the boil and add the lentils. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
2. In the meantime heat olive oil in a large pan and add onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until they soften.
3. Add diced tomatoes, vegetable stock and wine. Bring to the boil, then place on a simmer.
4. Add raw sugar, basil and sea salt to taste. Leave sauce to simmer for 25 minutes or until it has reduced and tomatoes have completely softened.
5. Add another cup of water and the kale and lentils. Stir through until the kale has wilted.
6. Serve French lentil and Kale Ragout over Pesto Polenta with some extra pesto sauce and italian parsley
Method for Pesto Polenta:
1. Place polenta and water in to a pot on a medium heat. Stir polenta continuously for 3-4 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the polenta has become thick.
2. Add the pesto and sea salt to taste.