This soup was adapted from Shredded chicken satay noodle soup. Not such a great idea while we were having a heat wave, but still delicious and very healthy.
Satay Noodle Soup with Grilled Tofu (vegan, gluten free)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 large red chilli, diced
1 tablespoon diced ginger
2 medium brown onions, chopped
5 tablespoon natural peanut butter
3 tablespoon soy sauce
2 litres vegetable stock
sea salt to taste
1 x 400g tin coconut milk
2 bunches buk choy/other asian green
2.5 serves bean thread noodles/other noodles
2 x 200 g packets of marinated satay tofu (or homemade)
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and red chili. Saute for a 5 minute or until the onions are browned.
2. Stir in the peanut butter and soy sauce.
3. Add the vegetable stock and whisk so the peanut butter mixes well through the stock.
4. Bring to the boil, then leave on a simmer for 30 -40 minutes. Season with sea salt or more soy sauce.
5. Wash and slice the buk choy and leave to the side.
6. Bring the kettle to the boil, then fill a pot and soak the Bean thread noodles for 5 minutes, then strain.
7. Add the coconut milk to the soup and season with more sea salt if you need.
8. Add the buk choy, let it wilt, then turn off the heat and add the noodles.
9. Before serving the soup, slice the tofu and grill it. Then serve the tofu on to of the soup. Also top with some fresh coriander if you have on hand.