I have been in such a rut with cooking since I’ve been back from holidays. I have still been cooking everyday, but I have been lacking inspirations and finding it hard to get back into a healthy routine. I’m not sure if its me still being in holiday mode or because of my anger towards my electric stove (I miss mums gas stove!). But today I’m back on the wagon.
Last night after work I went and did my shopping for the week. Normally when I shop when I’m hungry I’m overflowing with ideas and can’t wait to get home to cook. But yesterday it wasn’t the same. So I thought I’d go back to the basics and just fill my fridge with healthy vegetables, fruit and spurge on some coconut yogurt. I came home and baked some petite potatoes, red onions and this beautiful little pumpkin that I found in my garden. While I was waiting for it to cook I finally got some inspiration. I made these little fritters with some leftover rice and some organic zucchini. They were very good!
This morning I pushed myself to drink a healthy smoothie. I made delicious Mixed Berry Kale Smoothie with Coconut Yogurt and Almond Milk. Can’t believe I’ve been avoiding smoothies and juices. Now I remember how good good they are.
Do you ever get in a rut with cooking or eating healthy? What do you do to snap out of it?
Zucchini Basil Fritters with Lemon Cumin Mayo (vegan, gluten free option, soy free, nut free)
To make Zucchini Basil Fritters:
1 cup leftover basmati rice
1 medium zucchini, grated
2 garlic cloves, diced
20 basil leaves, diced
2 teaspoons egg replacer, mixed 4 tablespoons water)
1/2 cup plain flour or gluten free flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Take a mixing bowl and combine the basmati rice, grated zucchini, garlic and basil.
2. Add egg replacer, flour, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper to taste. Stir through well.
3. Heat a non stick pan with olive oil on medium heat. Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and make into a pattie with your hands, then drop into the pan. Cook fritters for a minute or two on both side.
4. Continue Step 3 until you have no more mixture yet. You should be able to make eight Fritters.
To Make Lemon Cumin Mayo:
4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or more to taste
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. Combine all the ingredients and serve with the fritters.