Apparently I don’t make sweets enough. Marco promised me he won’t have his nightly chocolate binge if I make home sweets. So I made an effort to make him a cake this afternoon. My cake is oil free and has no added sugar (except for the icing). This cake is sweet enough with out the icing. But I went all out tonight. Its sweet, moist and utterly delicious!
Coconana-chia Cake (vegan, soy free, nut free)
1 cup self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup white chia seeds, ground into a flour
1/2 cup moist coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 overripe banana
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon agave or other liquid sweetener
20g vegan butter
1 cup icing sugar
3 tablespoons coconut milk
2-3 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift self raising flour and baking powder. Then add coconut sugar, ground chia seeds, coconut flakes and shredded coconut. Whisk well and break down any large balls that may of formed.
3. In a small mixing bowl mash the banana so its nice and creamy, then add coconut milk, vanilla extra and agave. Whisk so that its nice creamy and thickened.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Take the cake out of the oven and leave in tin for 10 minutes, so that it hardens a little.
8. Place the cake on a drying rack for 20 minutes or until the cake has cooled down.
10. Whisk the icing well so that its nice and runny.
11. Drizzle the cake with the icing and top with some toasted shredded coconut.