We just had the yummiest lunch! Marco had been badgering me to make something before he went to work, but I wasn’t in the mood to cook. Then I got the inspiration to make these delicious patties and make use of my organic kale. I don’t usually bake patties, but I figured why not. I hate when they fall apart when I flip them. Flipping isn’t my strong suit in the kitchen. I am so happy I did bake them. They were crumbly on the outside and nice and soft and gooey on the inside. Well that’s how Marco described them. He loved these patties, he even loved this pesto. He’s not a big fan of kale, so this was a more exciting way for him to eat it. We ended up finishing off the rest of the patties, but still have some Kale Pesto to enjoy with another meal.
Red Lentil Patties (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
1/2 cup red lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 small potato, grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
sea salt to taste
1/2 cup quinoa crumbs (or other gluten free crumbs)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
6 tablespoons Kale Pesto (recipe below)
1. First cook the red lentils. Place 1 cup of water with the red lentils in a small pot and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins till cooked. Add more water if you need whiles its cooking.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees and heat a pan with olive oil. Saute the red onion and grated potato for 5 mins or until the onion has softened.
3. All the red lentils, red onion and potato to cool a little then add them into the processor. While it mixing add garlic powder, cumin, curry powder, cayenne and sea salt.
4. Once the mixture has combined well remove from the processor and place in a bowl. Add quinoa crumbs and stir through the mixture.
5. Form the mixture into 6 patties. Place the sesame seeds in a small bowl and dust the patties in the sesame seeds.
6. Place patties on a nonstick cookie tray, then bake for 20-25 mins. Turn once while they are cooking so that the seasame seeds on both sides get a little browned.
7. Serve with a tablespoon of Kale Pesto on each pattie.
*Serves 2-3 people.
Kale Pesto (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
2.5-3 cups red russian kale leaves (stems removed)
1/3 cup pine nuts
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2-3 garlic cloves)
2 tablespoons lemon juice sea salt to taste
1. Place pine nuts in the processor and whiz till they are broken down and start to form a paste. If they are not braking down add a dash of olive oil.
2. Then add the kale leaves. Add a bit more olive oil to help break them down easier.
3. Once kale has broken down add the rest of the ingredients to the processor, until it is all combined and creamy.
*Makes about 3/4 cup