Tonight Marco requested sushi and soup. For him I made his favorite tuna avocado sushi, but for me I made this shiitake vegetable sushi. As for the soup I tried to make my miso soup. I’m not sure how Japanese it was, but at least I got to try out this black fungus that’s been at the back of my cupboard for the past 6 months. I quite liked it, Marco wasn’t a fan, but he doesn’t usually like miso soup. I also tried for the first time making tempura vegetables and dipping sauce. I got this recipe from Chloe’s Kitchen. I had to reduce the ingredients by a quarter, as her recipe serves 10-12. I can’t believe how easy it was to make. Not exactly the healthiest way to enjoy vegetables, but a nice crunchy weekend treat. Marco really liked this and he comment that the dipping sauce taste just like from his favorite Japanese restaurant.
Vegetable Tempura (vegan, soy free, nut free)
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup ice cold water (add 1 ice cube cool down water)
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cups vegetables (brocoli florets, aspargus, slices of sweet potato, sliced carrot, etc)
oil to fry
1. Place flour, baking powder and sea salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
2. Combine cold water and sesame oil and whisk.
3. Add the water to the flour mixture and whisk till a smooth batter. Don’t worry if its a bit lumpy. Place in the fridge till your ready to fry.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Once its hot enough dip the vegetables indivdually into the batter then drop into the water. Cook vegetables for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Then place fried tempura vegetables on a plate with paper towel to drain oil. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Dipping Sauce for Tempura (vegan, gluten free option, nut free)
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1/2 teaspoon agave
1. Combine all the ingredients into a small pot.
2. Bring the pot to the boil, then leave to simmer for 5 mins. Serve with Tempura Vegetables.
Shiitake Vegetable Sushi (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1 cup sushi rice
2 tablespoons sushi vinegar
5 nori sheets
3 carrots, cut julienne
1/2 cup shittake mushroom, sliced
toasted black sesame seeds
tamari/soy sauce to serve
1. Cook sushi rice in a rice cooker. Once rice has cooked place in another bowl and leave to cool.
2. Add sushi vinegar to the rice and stir through.
3. Take a sushi mat and place some glad wrap onto. Then place a nori sheet ontop and with rice, smooth out with wooden spoon.
4. In the center of the sheet add carrots, shiitake mushroom and avocado. Then roll the sheet into a roll.
5. Slice the sushi roll into desired size.
6. Top with black sesame seeds and serve with tamari.
Miso Soup with Nori and Black Fungus (vegan, gluten free, nut free)
1 cup water
1/2 nori sheet
1/4 cup shredded black fungus mushroom
1.5-2 tablespoons white miso paste
1. Soak the black fungus mushroom in water for 15 mins and cut nori sheet in strips.
2. Bring a small pot of water to the boil and add nori and black fungus mushroom.
3. Once its boiled place on a simmer and take out a bit of water to combine with the miso paste. Once the paste has dissolved add this water back to the pot. Simmer for 5 mins then serve.
*Serves 3 small bowls