We haven’t had Panzarotti for a while. Marco is always asking for it, but I usually say no for one reason or another. However, we compromised tonight, he made the dough and agreed that we baked them.
I discovered Panzarotti in Milan on my trip last year and a relative taught me to make them while I was there. Check out my other posts with different fillings, Baked Panzarotti with Mushrooms, Sun-dried tomatoes & Pine nuts and Baked Panzarotti with Tomato, Onion & Cavolo Nero. My dream is to open a Panzarotti store, so perhaps in a few months when I graduate I might try something, but until then I will just be practicing at home.
Tonight I tried two new fillings: Tomato, Vegetarian Pepperoni, Roasted Capsicum, Garlic & Cheezy Bechamel; and Mushroom, Spinach & Cheezy Bechamel. I used Sanitarian Vegetarian Pepperoni, which I didn’t realize until just now that it is not vegan as it contains eggs. The writing is so small on the packet that I didn’t see that. So it is a great tasting product if you vegetarian, but otherwise use a vegan pepperoni, like Tofurky Pepperoni Slices or Redwood Cheatin’ Pepperoni Style Slices, which are available in Australia. I haven’t tried them, but I hope to soon.
Baked Panzarotti with Tomato, Vegetarian Pepperoni, Roasted Capsicum, Garlic & Cheezy Bechamel and Mushroom, Spinach & Cheezy Bechamel (vegan, soy free, nut free)
Ingredients for Basic Pizza Dough-
3 cups Italian Tipo 00
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1.5 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch raw sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil & more for brushing (makes 8)
Ingredients for Cheezy Bechamel:
1/2 cup unsweetened oat milk (or almond or soy if you can tolerate)
1 tablespoon arrowroot/plain flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon nutlex/vegan butter
sea salt to taste
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (enough for 4 panzarotti)
Ingredients for the Filling 1:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 handfuls of sliced mushroom
2 tablespoons chopped parsley/basil
4 handfuls of baby spinachs roughly chopped
sea salt & black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Cheezy Bechamel (enough for 2 panzarotti)
Ingredients for the Filling 2:
1 tablespoon olive oil,
2-3 tablespoons tomato pasta sauce
8 slices vegan pepperoni
2 roasted capsicum from jar, sliced in 4-6 pieces
2 whole garlic cloves, with skin
sea salt & black pepper to taste
2 tablespoon Cheezy Bechamel (enough for 2 panzarotti)
Prepare the dough:
1. Take a large bowl & brush with oil.
2. Take a bowl and add warm water and yeast. Put some plastic wrap over the bowl and leave it to sit for 5 mins.
3. Add flour salt and sugar to the large bowl and mix it through.
4. Slowly add water to flour and mix. (add more flour if to stick)
5. Place dough on board and knead for 10 mins.
Prepare Cheezy Bechamel:
1. Combine oat milk, arrow root and garlic powder in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
2. Melt vegan butter in a small pot.
3. Add oat milk to the pot and heat on medium to low heat until it thickens. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Add nutritional yeast and stir through until dissolved, then take of the heat.
1. First heat a pan with olive oil, then add mushrooms, and garlic cloves. Saute for 3-4 mins or until browned.
2. Then add parsley, spinach, salt and pepper. Cook until spinach as wilted.
3. Remove the mushrooms and spinach out of the pan, but leave the garlic cloves.
6. Remove the filling from the pan and place in another small bowl. Peel the garlic, as it should be nice and soft, diced and add to bowl.
2. For mushroom fillings, add 1 tablespoon Cheezy Bechamel, then top with the saute mushroom and spinach. Add another tablespoon of Cheezy Bechamel and season with salt & pepper. Fold the dough over like a half moon shape. Close the ends with your fingers or with a fork. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second on.
3. For pepperoni filling, add 1.5 tablespoon of tomato sauce and then add 4 slices of pepperoni, 2-3 slices of roasted capsicum, diced garlic, 1 tablespoon Cheezy Bechamel and season with salt & pepper. Fold the dough over like a half moon shape. Close the ends with your fingers or with a fork. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second on.
4. Cook in the oven for 15 mins or until the dough is cooked and golden brown.
*Dough make 8 panzarotti, the filling ingredients makes 2 of each, but both can be doubled for more.