I finally set up my veggie patch today. Its been empty for nearly a year since I went overseas. At Aldi they had a whole lot of starter plants in stock. So mum picked me up some kale, lettuce, broccolini, cauliflower, cabbage, rainbow spinach and a whole lot of herbs. I also emptied out my compost, which I have been filling, but haven’t emptied for nearly two years. It was really smelly, but really healthy for my garden.
I had to Albie proof my veggie patch with some chicken wire and some steaks I found. Not sure its going to last a Queensland storm, but anything to keep Mr Albie out. He likes to use my garden as a place to sleep or to attack possums on the fence. Bella also likes to use it as a toilet. So fingers crossed this will keep them out till I think of something else.
I have been really slack lately with preparing legumes. I was really craving black beans, so remembered to soak some today. I decided to make this Mexican inspired chili. I was really proud that I managed to make this entire dish with out any canned products. The beans, corn and tomatoes are all fresh.
For the Broad bean Guacamole I adapted the recipe from Daily unadventures in cooking. The taste was a lot different with the broad beans, so I added more avocado. It did have a nice fresh taste though with the lime juice.
I made a similar dish last month, Whole Baked Sweet Potato with Mixed Bean Chili, Guacamole and Quinoa Salad. Tonight’s dish was just as delicious, but the flavors were a lot different.
Black bean & Corn Chilli with Whole Roasted Sweet Potatoes (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
Black bean & Corn Chilli
1.5 cups dried black beans (pre soaked for 8 hours/overnight)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2-4 garlic cloves, diced
1 large green chilli, diced
1 small green capsicum, diced
1 small red capsicum, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 tablespoons cumin
1/2 tablespoons chilli powder or cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground smoked paprika
3 roma tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
corn kernels from 2 cobs of corn
2 cups of vegetable liquid stock
1.5 tablespoons hot chipotle sauce
2 tablespoons corn flour (or arrowroot or plain flour)
sea salt to taste
lime juice to serve (optional)
1. Bring a large pot with water and black beans to a boil, then cook for 40 mins or until tender. Strain black beans then put to the side.
3. Add carrot, green & red capsicum and cook for 5 mins. Stir often.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water. If using can tomatoes then you don’t need the water. Cook for 5 mins.
6. Add black beans, corn kernels, liquid stock, hot chipotle sauce, flour and sea salt. Bring to the boil, then let it simmer for 40 mins to an hour.
* Serve on top of the whole sweet potatoes and/or basmati rice and with a squeeze of lime.
Whole Roasted Sweet Potato
8 sweet potatoes
canola oil (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Clean and scrub sweet potatoes.
2. Coat in oil and place in a baking tray. Piece a few times with a fork along the sweet potato, then bake for 45 mins.
* Serve with Chili
* Serves 8
Broad Bean Guacamole
1 cup broad beans
juice 1/2 lime
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
hot chipotle sauce to taste (optional)
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Then cook the broad beans for 2-3 mins.
2. Strain the broad beans, rinse in cold water, then remove the outer skin of the beans.
3. Combine broad beans and avocado in a bowl. Mash with a fork.
4. Add lime, evo, hot chipotle sauce, sea salt & black pepper.
* Serves about 1 cup