Good evening or morning guys. Tonight I made another Italian traditional dish. In the north, pumpkin is plentiful and in the past was typically eaten by the poor farmers. In Mantova this dish is very popular. I have previously made some dishes from this city, including Tortelli di zucca and Sbrisolona in past posts.
I veganised a recipe from the Italian website Giallo Zafferano. Instead of using rosemary, I used thyme, which gave it a beautiful fragrant flavor. I topped it with Brazil Nut Parmesan. This Parmesan was just as good as Cashew Parmesan. It is really creamy and savory. I am addicted!
I also made these zucchini fritters. Marco didn’t like the mint, but I think it gave it a really nice fresh taste. If you don’t like mint, add basil or italian parsley. There are no eggs needed in this recipe. The moisture from the zucchini, flour and touch of soy milk is enough to bind the fritters. These can be made gluten free by just using gluten free plain flour.
This afternoon we went to the Rocklea Markets and got this delicious loaf of Organic Spelt Bread. We also heaps of vegetables. I can’t believe for $17 I managed to fill a whole box of food. So if you live in Brisbane I really recommend doing your food shopping here and see how much you save.
Lastly, I wanted to share these delicious overnight oats I had for breakfast. Our bananas have been going nearly off, as no one has been eating them, so this was a perfect way to use them. Overnight oats are really filling and a perfect quick way to start the day. For more flavor ideas check out my Recipe Index.
Risotto alla zucca (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
3 tablespoons vegan butter
1 brown onion, diced
350g pumpkin cut in small cubes
500g arborio rice
1-2 tablespoons thyme leaves
1/2 cup white wine
1 litre vegan chicken/vegetable liquid stock
2. Add pumpkin and cook for 5 mins so it has softened.
3. Add rice and thyme cook for 10 mins. Constantly stirring. While it is cooking boil liquid stock.
4. Now begin ladling hot liquid stock, one spoon at a time. Constantly stiring. Continue adding stock till all has been absorbed and rice is cooked.
*Serve with vegan parmesan
Brazil Nut Parmesan (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
1 cup brazil nuts
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Grind all the ingredients till ground.
*Makes 1 cup
Zucchini Fritters with Mint (vegan, gluten free option, soy free, nut free)
1 large zucchini
2 garlic cloves
1 handful of mint
1/2 cup wholemeal (or gluten free flour)
1 tablespoon unsweetened plant milk (oat or rice; soy or almond if you can tolerate)
sea salt to taste
1. Grate zucchini and garlic. Chop mint roughly.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well so all the flavour goes through.
3. Make small patties and fry in hot oil. Cook patties for 1-2 mins on both sides or until browned.
Banana Blueberry Overnight Oats (vegan, raw, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1/2 cup instant or rolled oats (preferably organic)
1/2 cup plant milk (coconut, rice or oat; almond or soy if you can tolerate)
2 whole overripe bananas
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon maple syrup (I used blueberry maple syrup)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a container and stir through.
2. Cover and place in the fridge over night.
*Serves 2 or 1 big serve