Believe it or not I have never baked a whole sweet potato before. When I was kid, mum use to make ‘potatoes in their jackets’ (baked spuds), but I haven’t had them in years. I think I am in love! They were so delicious and sweet. I can’t believe what I have been missing out on all this time. This is definitely going to have to be a part of our regular weeknight dinner rotation. It also went really well the the chili. The savory, spicy flavor toned down the sweetness of the sweet potato. The guacamole and salad really brought a fresh taste to the main event as well. Avocados are still expensive and very hard at the moment. We bought a whole heap of small ones the other day and they all went ripe at the same time. Can’t wait for the big soft ones to be back in season for breakfast.
Whole Roasted Sweet Potato with Mixed Bean Chilli (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato:
4 medium size sweet potato, olive oil to coat
Ingredients for Chili:
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon onion flake or onion powder
1 tablespoon ground sweet paprika
1/2 tablespoon chilli powder or ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
400g can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon agave or raw sugar
400g can mixed beans
sea salt & black pepper to taste
4. Add diced tomatoes, agave, sea salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then leave it to simmer for 20.
5. Add the beans then cook for another 5-10 mins. Adjust seasoning if you need to.
6. When sweet potatoes are ready slice long ways to open up the flesh.
*Serve with Chili on top of the Sweet Potato. Also serve with Guacamole or Vegan Sour Cream.
Creamy Guacamole (gf, nf)
2 large avocados
2-3 tablespoons tofutti ‘cream cheese’ (optional)
sea salt to taste
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mash avocado and ‘cream cheese’ until consistent.
*Serves 4 as a side
Simply Zesty Quinoa Salad (gf, sf, nf)
1 1/2 cup quinoa
1 small red onion, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
2-3 tablespoons diced fresh/frozen parsley/coriander
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon agave (optional)
1. Cook quinoa according to packet instructions.
2. Once ready and water has completely evaporated (otherwise strain), add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Season to taste.
*Serves 6 as a side dish.