Tonight was another dinner made of leftovers. I used the last of the Eggplant & Capsicum Pasta Sauce and the cooked adzuki beans. This recipe is adapted from Oh My Veggies recipe, Lentil Mushroom Meatballs. I changed the ingredients and the portion size, so that there was more meatballs and it took less time to cook. The original recipe called to bake the meatballs. I was going to fry them, but then at the last minute I thought I would cook them at a high heat for a short time. This saved 20 mins in cooking time from the original recipe. This recipe is gluten free and tofu free. It was really easy to make and the very flavorsome. It also went really well with my favorite Greek red wine.
Adzuki Mushroom ‘Meatballs’ with Fettuccine (vegan, gluten free, nut free)
1 cup cooked adzuki beans
250g sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 handful parsley, minced
1 handful basil, minced
4 tablespoons red wine
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
1 cup organic instant oats
corn crumbs (about 1/2 cup)
prepared passata sauce & fettuccine/other long pasta/gf pasta for 6 serves
sea salt & pepper to taste
2. Place the adzuki beans, mushrooms, parsley and basil in the food processor and pulse until its chopped.
4. Add the bean mushroom mixture and cook for 4 mins or until it has browned a little.
5. Add the wine and stir through. Cook until the wine has evaporated.
6. Add the vegetable stock, tamari, and oats. Adjust seasoning, stir frequently and cook until all the liquid has disappeared. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
8. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Once finished strain and then place back in the same pot and add a bit of sauce to coat the pasta so it doesn’t stick.
9. Spray the meat balls with a little bit of canola oil spray and cook in the oven for 10 mins. Then turn them over and cook for a further 10 mins.
10. Add the meat balls to the pasta sauce, so that they are coated in the sauce. Then serve meatballs on top a serve of pasta.
* Serves 6, makes 24 meatballs =4 per person