You know how I was saying I was looking forward to using the leftovers. This is what inspired today’s lunch. I cooked the leftover the rice in a similar way to the Spicy Black bean and Rice stuffing, but I added some pineapple and a few more veggies. To go with it I made these croquettes. The polenta and corn crumbs really go well with the flavor of the sweet potato. Since I can’t use cheese, I used Tofutti instead to stuff it. This was nice and creamy inside. I also served it with last nights left over Coleslaw and a french stick that my mum turned up with, just in time for lunch. The dressing actually tasted better today and closer to the real thing.
I recently added a Recipe page, so you can all find the recipes easier. I also added a Eating out Vegan Page. These are some places that I have experienced. So far only places in Queensland, Australia and a couple in Milan. But I am hoping to add some more when I go to Melbourne next week. Now I’m off to do last minute Christmas shopping!
Sweet Potato Croquettes (vegan, gluten free, nut free)
2 small sweet potatoes
1/4 cup polenta
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon coriander leaves, minced
sea salt to taste
5 teaspoons Tofutti cream cheese
3. Stir through the polenta, water, coriander leaves and season with salt.
4. Place 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture in the palm of your hand and flatten it. Then add 1/2 tsp cream cheese in the centre and close it into a ball, so that the cream cheese is in the center.
5. Rub the balls in corn crumbs.
6. Heat canola oil in a pan. Then add the croquettes and turn them as they go golden brown.
7. Once they are completely golden brown on all sides, place them on a plate with a paper towel to drain the oil. Then serve.
*Makes 10 balls.
Spicy Pineapple & Black beans Rice (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
2.5 cup cooked basmati rice (cooked in vegetable liquid stock & turmeric)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 large stalks of celery, diced
1 red chilli, diced
1/2 red capsicums, diced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
sea salt & black pepper to taste
1 small zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/2 cup pineapple, diced
2. Then add the zucchini, pineapple and all the spices (cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper). Cook for another 3 mins or until zucchini is tender.
3. Stir through the black beans and cooked rice. Cook until all is heated through, then serve.