I have been trying to incorporate more seeds and nuts into my diet lately, since they are so healthy. They also taste really great in baked goods. Tonight’s dessert was a bit experimental, but it turned out really well. The chia seeds have a slight crunch on the inside and the pepitas seeds taste really great roasted on the outside. I wanted to also put some dates inside, but I forgot, so that gives me an excuse to make something else baked and sweet this week.
Chia & Pepitas Banana Bread (vegan, soy free)
2 cups unbleached self raising flour
2/3 cup evavorated cane sugar or raw sugar
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 handfuls pepitas seeds
Wet Ingredients: 3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup plant milk (coconut, rice or oat; almond or soy if you can tolerate)
1 teaspoon almond essence
1/4 cup filtered water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Take a large bowl and mix in all the dry ingredients (except pepitas seeds).
3. Take a smaller bowl and mash the bananas.
4. Add almond milk & vanilla essence to the bananas.
5. Add the bananas to the large bowl with the flour and stir it all through.
6. Add water to make the mixture more wet.
7. Place in a bread tin (with baking paper or greased with butter) and sprinkle pepitas seeds on top.
8. Cook in the oven for 45-50 mins (until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean). Leave to cool for 10 mins then slice and serve with vegan butter.