Today is another lazy day of procrastination so far. I figure if I’m on my computer I am one step closer to doing some work. I didn’t plan on cooking some major for lunch, but then I got temped to make something with the leftover basmati rice. I didn’t want to have fried rice again like I did last night, so I came up with this. I added the polenta, as I found when I made Chloe’s Mexicali Sliders, that it helps to bind patties like egg does. I think this would serve about 10 patties (size of mine) or perhaps 5 large one. I just made a simple sweet chilli mayo to go with it. This is just a ratio of 2 parts vegan mayo to 1 part sweet chili sauce and a pinch of ground cayenne.
Sweet Potato & Rice Veggie patties (vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free)
1 cup leftover basmati/other rice
1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2 small)
2 tablespoons polenta
1 onion diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
handful coriander leaves minced
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
sea salt to taste
1. First steam sweet potato and once finish mash.
2. Take a large bowl and add sweet potato and rice.
3. Add 2 tbsp of polenta (better if sweet potato is warm, otherwise add 1 tbsp of hot water to polenta before adding).
4. In a non-stick pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook onion on medium heat for 4 mins or until browned. Then add to bowl.
5. Add cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, sweet chili sauce, coriander leaves and salt to the bowl.
5. Make balls of the mixture in hands and place on baking paper (or straight into the pan)
6. Heat nonstick pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and place balls into the pan. Flatten balls with a flip, so it forms a pattie. Cook a few minutes on each side, then serve.