I’ve been really unwell the past few days with the flu and my doctor told me yesterday that I needed a hit of protein. She suggested chicken and boiled eggs to increase my immunity. However since I’m trying not to eat either, she suggested pulses. So tonight I wanted to make a hearty meal of lentils.
Our fridge was filled with stuff that was half used or needed to be used, so that’s what inspired tonight’s meals. The cashew cream from a couple of days ago, only lasts for few days in the fridge, so I decided to mix it with the left over pasta sauce. I really miss napoletana sauce with a dash of cream. My mum would always cook that for me at the restaurant with gnocchi.
I’ve never used French Green Lentils before. I found some organic one’s at Woolworths and figured they are similar to cook to Green lentils. They are meant to be a bit firmer, which explains why they took so much longer to cook. They are extremely nutritious, containing protein, calcium, fiber, magnesium. Plus they are a pretty green colour with blue specks and they hold together while cooked.
The cake was a bit experimental. I cooked mine a bit more then I probably should have, I think 40mins is probably the correct amount of time. Really I needed to use the apples and canned pineapple. I was worried that it would be too sweet, but according to my boyfriend it still needed a bit more sugar. Usually when I cook vegan cakes he adds nutella, because they are never sweet enough. Tonight I convinced him to add some maple syrup instead. He agreed it suited the cake better then chocolate spread, so win win.
Ingredients- 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 carrot diced, 1 red capsicum diced, 1/2 jar passata sauce (its all I had left), 1 cup french green lentils, filtered water, 2/3 cup cashew cream + 1/3 water, 2 tbsp basil chopped, 1 cup baby spinach chopped, sea salt, black pepper, 250 g penne/gf pasta
2. Heat oil in a large pan, add garlic, onion, carrot and capsicum. Saute for 5 mins.
3. Add lentils, passata sauce, and water (same amount as sauce). Bring to the boil then put on a medium heat. Stir regularly and add water when need be (I think I added 3 cups). Cook for 30 mins or until lentils become soft.
4. Add basil, spinach, cashew cream, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add pasta and heat till pasta is hot.
Apple & Pineapple Cake (gfo, sf, nf)
Ingredients: 2 cups wholemeal flour/gf flour, 1 tbsp ground flax seeds, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup desiccated coconut 1/2 cup raw sugar, 1 cup almond milk/other plant milk, 4 apples sliced, 1/4 cup pineapple (I used canned).
1. Preheat the oven 180 degrees and grease a cake pan
2. In a large mixing bowl mix flour, flax seeds, sugar, baking powder and coconut.
3. Add almond milk and fold in apple and pineapple. o
4. Place in the oven for 40mins or until you can cleanly stick a knive through it.