I finally got hold of the Notzarella, a vegan cheese, which is meant to be the best melting cheese. I could not believe how much it felt and tasted like cheese. Well after not eating cheese for nearly 3 years it was very similar, but according to my boyfriend it ‘tasted better than most’ vegan cheeses. I was very excited to try it, so I decided to try it out with lasagna. It was good, but didn’t melt as much as I thought. Maybe I should of left the lasagna uncovered for longer or perhaps I needed more cheese. It still tasted great though!
Chunky Eggplant & Potato ‘Cheesy’ Lasagna (gfo, nf)
Chunky Eggplant Sauce- olive oil, 1/2 large onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 large carrots, 1 small italian eggplant, 550g jar passata sauce, fresh basil, herbamare sea salt, black pepper, water
Other ingredients- Lasagna sheets (instant or fresh, normal/gluten free), baby/english spinach, 3 washed potatoes, grated block of notzarella cheese
Cheese sauce- 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp plain flour, 2 tsp dijon mustard, herbamare sea salt, 6 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp soy/other dairy free butter
1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees.
2. Chop garlic, onion, carrots, and eggplant in small cubs
3. In a sauce pin heat 3 tbsp olive oil and add garlic, onion, carrot and eggplant.
4. Cook vegetables for 5mins, then add passata and then add the same amount of water. Add salt, pepper and basil. Bring to boil, then put on simmer
5. Cut potato in slices and put in a steamer. Cook till soft
6. Put almond milk in a bowl, add flour, then whisk till no lumps.
7. Melt butter in small pot, then once liquid add milk and stir.
8. Add dijon mustard and nutritional yeast and stir on mild heat. Take off heat once thick and consistent.
9. Take baking dish and add couple spoon full of Chunky Eggplant Sauce.
10. Place lasagna sheets on top then add sauce again and notzarella. Then layer with lasagna sheets, potato slices, cheesy sauce and spinach. Continue to layer. The top lasagna sheet should have Chunky Eggplant Sauce and notzarella on top.
11. Put baking dish in oven and cook according to lasagna sheet instructions.