Hi guys hope you all had a good weekend. I can’t believe how fast its gone. I’ve been juicing away every day with my favorite new addition. I just love watching it do its magic Here is a couple of the juices I prepared recently. The first one is Beetroot, Pear, Kale and Cucumber. I also made some Sushi with honey soy tofu, avocado and cucumber. The next one is rockmelon, lemon and ginger. That one was a bit tangy, but still very good.
Last night we popped into the vegan restaurant Banana Lounge for some dessert. I also got a sticky beak at their new menu, which is the same for lunch and dinner. I have heard mixed reviews about their food, but I would like to check it out soon. I have only been to the vegan buffet breakfast. On their new menu they have nachos, burritos, mexican rice bowl and raw pizza etc. I was the only one that order dessert. I got the Raw Choc, Date & Pistachio Brownies and the Mexican Chili Hot Chocolate. Both were really delicious! They really know how to make a good vegan dessert.
Tonight I wanted to make something healthy, but hearty. Its so cold here at the moment, so we need something a bit heavier. This dish just keep evolving till I got hungry enough to stop adding things. I brought a whole lot of sprouts today so I am going to try add them to more of my meals for extra nutrients. I am trying to get Marco into sprouts. He didn’t mind a sprinkle of these snow pea sprouts, but they aren’t his favorite thing.
Warm Buckwheat & Lentil Salad with Pumpkin & Broccolini, Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing and Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.(gf, sf, nf)
Ingredients- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils, 1 cup raw buckwheat, 900 g kent/other pumpkin, olive oil, 2 bunches of broccolini, sea salt to taste, snow pea sprouts (washed, roughly chopped)
Ingredients Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing- 1 whole garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp water, 1 tsp ground cumin, pinch ground cayenne, 1/4 cup italian parsley, 1 tbsp tahini (I prefer unhulled), sea salt to taste
Ingredients Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp cayenne, sea salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Place lentils in pot with 2 cups of water and bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 30-40 mins or until lentils are cooked. Then strain any water and leave to cool.
3. Place buckwheat in a pot with 3 cups of water and bring to the boi, then leave to simmer for 30 mins or until the buckwheat are cooked. Then leave to cool
8. Add olive oil, lemon juice, water, cumin and cayenne and whiz until combined.
9. Then add tahini, italian parsley and sea salt. Whiz until combined. Add more sea salt if you need.
10. Roughly chop the broccolini, then saute in a pan with olive oil until tender.
11. In the mean time, combine the lentils, buckwheat and pumpkin in a large bowl. Then top with the dress, stir through.
12. Add the broccolini to the salad and stir through.
13. Serve the warm salad, topped with snow pea sprouts and roasted spicy pumpkin seeds.
*Serves 4 as a main or 6 as a side.
For dessert I made these Gluten free Yoga Chocolate Cupcakes from Chloe’s Vegan Desserts. You can find the recipe here. Mum called them disgustingly delicious lol. She couldn’t believe how good this vegan cupcakes are. They are really crunchy on the top and soft and moist on the inside. Instead of making 34 mini cupcakes, I made 12. This also means I needed half the chocolate icing.